Thursday, January 27, 2005

Old Man and the Potato Peeler

I was shopping for a present today in The Bay. An old man was carefully choosing the right potato peeler. For some reason, I found the whole scene rather endearing. A salesgirl (I say girl because she was a girl) came over to help him but he seemed to have found what he was looking for. She offered another style but he claimed the one he chose would be better suited for him as he is the potato peeler in his household. Again, I found him endearing. He asked how much it was. She said $10. He began fretting as he had brought that much with him. In a resigned but kindly way he said had come all this way for nothing. The sales girl just stood there as she had no cheaper potato peelers to offer. I decided I could spare a couple dollars to cover the taxes when I remembered the 20% off sign I had seen above the wares. I said to the sales girl "isn't that 20% off"? She agreed that it was and apologized for not noticing as the sale had just started today. She went off to check the price and found that he could indeed purchase the peeler. He was a happy man and went off on his way. I later saw him getting off of my bus. I hadn't noticed that we got on together.

It's funny how strangers can sometimes pull your heart strings for no particular reason. It is these rare moments that make me happy to be a part of life. I wish I had them more.

No comments: